NBL ConstitutionUpdated Saturday February 23, 2019 by Dave Fields.
THIS CONSTITUTION IS IN THE REVISION PROCESS BY THE 2019 BOARD AND HAS NOT BEEN VOTED ON OR APPROVED. THIS IS A PROPOSED DOCUMENT.
Article I -Name
The organization shall be known as NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD
Article II -Objective
A. The objective of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall be to implant firmly in the youth of the community the ideals of good sportsmanship, honesty, loyalty, courage, and respect for authority, to aid them toward being well-adjusted, stronger children and to help them grow to be decent, healthy and trustworthy adults.
B. This objective will be achieved by providing supervised, baseball games. The supervisors shall recognize that the attainment of exceptional athletic skill and the winning of games are secondary, and the molding of future adults is of primary importance.
A. The government of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall be under the direct supervision of the Board of Directors.
B. Prior to the end of, but in the month of October, NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall elect from its General Membership the following officers: President, Vice President for Baseball, Vice President for Business, Treasurer, Secretary, Concession Manager, two (2) 46/60 Chairs, one (1) 50/60 Chair, one (1) 60/90 Chair, a Family Representative, one or two (1 or 2) Facilities Managers, and at least (2) Trustees. The total number of Board members will not exceed 28 members.
C. The aforementioned officers, with the exception of the Trustees, shall hold office for a period of one year. Terms of elected officers begin on November 1.
D. Trustees shall be elected for a period of 2 years.
E. Candidates for any of the aforementioned offices must be a member in good standing. The legislative year of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL LTD. shall begin on November 1 and end on October 31.
F. All matters concerning the policy of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall be decided by the vote of the Board of Directors and no motions shall be carried without a favorable vote from the majority of the members when a quorum is present. The quorum required shall consist of a majority plus one voting members of the Board of Directors.
A. Director meetings shall be led by the president and scheduled at-least 1-month advance.
B. Special meetings of the General Membership may be called upon written request of the President or any three members of the Board of Directors, but at-least one meeting of the General Membership shall be held during the year.
C. As soon as is practical following Labor Day of each calendar year, there will be an annual meeting of the General Membership. There are two purposes of the annual meeting:
1. To propose a pool of Officers & Trustees for the next term beginning on November 1 and ending on October 31;
2. The introduction of a budget of revenues and expenses for the next fiscal year. The Treasurer shall prepare the budget. The budget shall be approved or rejected by the Board at the first Board meeting in November.
A. The President shall appoint standing committee members and their chairmen where applicable on the first day in office and report such appointments to the Board of Directors. Members appointed to committees that they cannot serve on have the option of resigning immediately upon appointment.
B. The following section enumerates all standing committees and their functions
1. Committee on the Constitution and By-laws: This committee will review the Constitution and By-laws of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. annually and present written proposals to amend the Constitution and By-laws when necessary.
2. Committee on Finance: This committee, chaired by the Treasurer, will investigate the ways and means of financing the league's common treasury, mostly through fundraising ideas and suggestions.
3. Committee on Cal Ripken: This committee, chaired by the Bambino General Manager and comprised of the league Player Representatives shall discuss playing rules and Bambino League schedules before and during each Bambino season. It shall be the responsibility of the Cal Ripken Vice President to ensure that fellow file league Player Representatives know and have read the By-laws as they pertain to the playing of Cal Ripken baseball games.
4. Committee on Babe Ruth: This committee, chaired by the Babe Ruth Vice President and comprised of the Babe Ruth Managers shall discuss playing rules and Babe Ruth league schedules before and during each Babe Ruth season. It shall be the responsibility of the Babe Ruth Vice President to ensure that fellow Babe Ruth Managers know and have read the By-laws as they pertain to the playing of Babe Ruth baseball games.
5. Committee on Buildings, Property & Grounds, and Eqiipment: This committee shall be responsible for repair and improvements, and will be responsible for the care and maintenance of the playing fields, buildings, and grounds. This committee will also prepare a budget for the upkeep of buildings, properties, and grounds and shall be required to present this budget to the Treasurer for his consideration at least thirty days before the organizational meeting in September.
6. Committee on Equipment: The equipment committee, chaired by the Equipment Manager, shall be responsible for the proper issuance and repair of supplies and equipment owned by the league. This committee will also prepare a budget for the upkeep and purchase of equipment and shall be required to present this budget to the Treasurer for his consideration at least thirty days before the organizational meeting in September.
The President shall have full authority to appoint select committees for any investigative reason throughout the year but must have majority approval from the Board of Directors at any duly constituted meeting to discharge the select committee, as provided for in Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised.
Article VI- Managers and Coaches
All managers and coaches, recreational, travel, and all-star, shall be chosen from the Membership of Niskayuna Baseball, Ltd. Appointments shall be made by the President, Vice President for Baseball, and appropriate level Chairs and approved by the Board of Directors.
A. Requirements for Membership
1. Any person interested in active participation to affect the objective of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. and each Parent or Guardian of an enrolled child will be considered a general member. New members must be eighteen years of age or older. The Secretary is responsible for maintaining membership rolls.
2. Any youngster meeting the requirements of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. and who resides within the boundaries of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD., which is defined as co-terminus with the Niskayuna Central School District boundaries, shall be eligible for participation.
Article VIII- Financial Policy
A. The Board of Directors shall decide all matters pertaining to the finances of the League, and it shall be a permanent policy to place all income in a common league treasury, directing the expenditure of monies in the treasury in such a manner as will give no individual or team an advantage over others as to equipment, uniforms, etc.
B. The Board of Directors shall not permit the contribution of funds to individuals or teams from the general membership, from the common treasury of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. The purpose of this clause is to discourage favoritism among teams and to endeavor to equalize the benefits of this organization.
C. Any expenditure exceeding the budgeted allocation shall require a formal motion to be carried by a majority vote at any given Board of Directors meeting. If an emergency arises, then emergency expenditures may be approved by at least four members of the Board of Directors, but must include the president, or his/her designee.
D. Distribution of Property upon Dissolution: Upon dissolution of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. and after all outstanding debts and claims have been satisfied, the General Membership shall distribute the property of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. to other organizations maintaining an objective similar to that set forth herein this constitution, which are or may be entitled to exemption under Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of The United States of America or any future corresponding provision.
E. The fiscal year of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall begin on November 1 and end on October 31.
Articles IX- Rules
A. Charter: NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall annually apply for a charter from Babe Ruth League, Inc. and shall do all things necessary to obtain and maintain such charter. NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall devote its entire energies to the activities authorized by such a charter and shall neither be affiliated nor operate any other national program or organization. Local and regional travel leagues, such as Empire State Baseball League, or ENYTB, are excluded, so long as the players which the league supports in these outside organizations still maintain membership in the NBL recreational Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken program under our national charter.
B. Rules and Regulations: The current copy of the Official Regulations and Playing Rules as published by Babe Ruth League Inc. shall be binding on NISKAYUNA BASEBALL LTD.
C. Local League Rules: The local rules of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall be adopted by the Board of Directors at a meeting to be held not less than one month previous to the first scheduled game of the season. These rules shall in no way conflict with the Official Regulations and Playing Rules of Babe Ruth League, Inc.
The President shall preside at all Board of Directors and General Membership Meetings of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, L TD. and will at such meetings enforce order, the Constitution, By-laws, and Rules of this organization. The President shall have the right to cast a vote only in the event of a tie on a regular motion or in a secret ballot election. He shall appoint all committees and their chairmen which appointments must be approved by the Board of Directors. The President shall preside at all special meetings called under the auspices of this organization.
Article XI- Duties of the Vice Presidents
The Vice President of Business shall assist the President in the discharge of the duties of the President. In the absence of the President the Vice President shall preside at meetings and perform the duties of the President, in which case a Vice President pro tempore may be chosen. This VP of business is in charge of fundraising, and oversees the treasurer, facilities, and concessions board positions. The Vice President of Baseball is responsible for teams, games, rules, and anything deemed as structure of playing baseball and oversees the 40/60, 50/70, and 60/90 level Chairs.
The Secretary shall keep a fair and impartial record of the proceedings of all meetings, regular or special, which shall be kept by him. The Secretary shall be furnished with all records by NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. The Secretary shall notify all members of the Board of Directors of impending dismissal of a member for failure to attend three successive meetings without cause.
Article XIII - Duties of the Treasurer
The Treasurer signs checks, reports on the status of the common treasury at each Board of Directors meeting, keeps the financial records of this organization, prepares budgets, an assumes there responsibility for all finances of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD.
The Trustees shall serve as advisors to the league based on their past board level experience, can attend executive level meetings, but cannot vote. They will be involved in auditing and reviewing the annual budget proposed b the treasurer in November.
Assists the President in checking birth records and eligibility of players, and generally supervises and coordinates the transfer of players to or from each level according to the provisions of the regulations of Babe Ruth League, Inc. The treasurer is responsible for the online registration system, setting up programs for registration and payment, and for tracking any delinquent payment(s) and reporting such to the president and treasurer.
Article XVI- Duties of Family Representative
The Family Representative acts as a liaison between the Vice President of Baseball, Managers of Cal Ripken and Babe Ruth teams, and general membership families. He/she assists in resolving any dispute from families regarding any situation in which there is a question about how or why the league or its coaches have handled a situation. He/she will present any disputes to the executive board within 72 hours of being notified by a family, or immediately in an emergency situation where possible harm or danger may be imminent.
(See organizational chart for ALL executive members’ titles and roles)
The rules contained in the current edition of Roberts's Rules or Order Newly Revised shall govern the League in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the Constitution and any special rules or operating procedures the League may adopt.
A. This Constitution and By-laws or any section thereof may be amended or repealed by a majority plus one vote of the Board of Directors present at any stipulated meeting.