NBL ConstitutionUpdated Monday January 11, 2016 by John Hand.
Article I -Name
The organization shall be known as NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD
Article II -Objective
A. The objective of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall be to implant firmly in the youth of the community the ideals of good sportsmanship, honesty, loyalty, courage, and respect for authority, so that they may be well-adjusted, stronger, and happier children and will grow to be decent, healthy and trustworthy adults.
B. This objective will be achieved by providing supervised, baseball games. The supervisors shall recognize that the attainment of exceptional athletic skill and the winning of games are secondary, and the molding of future adults is of primary importance.
A. The government of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall be under the direct supervision of the Board of Directors.
B. On the first Thursday following Labor Day in September, NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall elect from its General Membership the following officers: President, Vice President for Babe Ruth, Vice President for Cal Ripken, Equipment Manager, Secretary, Treasurer and at least (2) Trustees. The total number of Board members will not exceed 28 members.
C. The aforementioned officers, with the exception of the Trustees, shall hold office for a period of one year. Terms of elected officers begin on October 1. The Board of Directors will consist of the President, Vice Presidents, Secretary, Treasurer; Trustees, Equipment Manager and a Niskayuna High School Baseball Coach. Other officers will be appointed as needed.
D. Trustees shall be elected for a period of 2 years and the election of the Trustees shall be so arranged that terms are on a rotating basis.
E. Candidates for any of the aforementioned offices must be a member in good standing. The legislative year of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL LTD. shall begin on October 1 and end on September 20.
F. All matters concerning the policy of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall be decided by the vote of the Board of Directors and no motions shall be carried without a favorable vote from the majority of the members when a quorum is present. The quorum required shall consist of a majority plus one voting members of the Board of Directors.
A. Director meetings shall be held August through April on an agreed upon date during the month.
B. Special meetings of the General Membership may be called upon written request of the President or any three members of the Board of Directors. One meeting of the General Membership shall be held during the year.
C. As soon as is practical following Labor Day of each calendar year, there will be an annual meeting of the General Membership. There are two purposes of the annual meeting:
1. To propose a slate of Officers & Trustees for the next term beginning on October 1 and ending on September 30;
2. The introduction of a budget of revenues and expenses for the next fiscal year. The Treasurer shall prepare the budget. The budget shall be approved or rejected by the Board at the first Board meeting scheduled following Labor Day.
A. The President shall appoint standing committee members and their chairmen where applicable on the first day in office and report such appointments to the Board of Directors. Members appointed to committees that they cannot serve on have the option of resigning immediately upon appointment.
B. The following section enumerates all standing committees and their functions
1. Committee on the Constitution and By-laws: This committee will review the Constitution and By-laws of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. annually and present written proposals to amend the Constitution and By-laws when necessary.
2. Committee on Finance: This committee, chaired by the Treasurer, will investigate the ways and means of financing the league's common treasury, mostly through fund-raising ideas and suggestions.
3. Committee on Cal Ripken: This committee, chaired by the Bambino General Manager and comprised of the league Player Representatives shall discuss playing rules and Bambino League schedules before and during each Bambino season. It shall be the responsibility of the Cal Ripken Vice President to ensure that fellow file league Player Representatives know and have read the By-laws as they pertain to the playing of Cal Ripken baseball games.
4. Committee on Babe Ruth: This committee, chaired by the Babe Ruth Vice President and comprised of the Babe Ruth Managers shall discuss playing rules and Babe Ruth league schedules before and during each Babe Ruth season. It shall be the responsibility of the Babe Ruth Vice President to ensure that fellow Babe Ruth Managers know and have read the By-laws as they pertain to the playing of Babe Ruth baseball games.
5. Committee on Buildings, Property & Grounds: This committee shall be responsible for repair and improvements, and will be responsible for the care and maintenance of the playing fields, buildings, and grounds. This committee will also prepare a budget for the upkeep of buildings, properties, and grounds and shall be required to present this budget to the Treasurer for his consideration at least thirty days before the organizational meeting in September.
6. Committee on Equipment: The equipment committee, chaired by the Equipment Manager, shall be responsible for the proper issuance and repair of supplies and equipment owned by the league. This committee will also prepare a budget for the upkeep and purchase of equipment and shall be required to present this budget to the Treasurer for his consideration at least thirty days before the organizational meeting in September.
The President shall have full authority to appoint select committees for any investigative reason throughout the year but must have majority approval from the Board of Directors at any duly constituted meeting to discharge the select committee, as provided for in Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised.
Article VI- Managers and Coaches
All managers and coaches shall be chosen from the Membership of Niskayuna Baseball, Ltd. Appointments shall be made by the President, Vice President and Player Representatives from each division approved by the Board of Directors.
A. Requirements for Membership
1. Any person interested in active participation to affect the objective of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. and each Parent or Guardian of an enrolled child will be considered a general member. New members must be eighteen years of age or older. The Secretary is responsible for maintaining membership rolls.
2. Any youngster meeting the requirements of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. and who resides within the boundaries of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall be eligible for participation but shall have no rights, duties, or obligations in the management or property of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD.
Article VIII- Financial Policy
A. The Board of Directors shall decide all mattes pertaining to the finances of the League, and it shall be a permanent policy to place all income in a common league treasury , directing the expenditure of monies in the treasury in such a manner as will give no individual or team an advantage over others as to equipment, uniforms, etc.
B. The Board of Directors shall not permit the contribution of funds to individuals or teams from the common treasury of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. The purpose of this clause is to discourage favoritism among teams and to endeavor to equalize the benefits of this organization.
C. Any expenditure exceeding the budgeted allocation shall require a formal motion to be carried by a majority vote at any given Board of Directors meeting. If an emergency arises, then emergency expenditures may be approved by at least four members of the Board of Directors.
D. Distribution of Property upon Dissolution: Upon dissolution of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. and after all outstanding debts and claims have been satisfied, the General Membership shall distribute the property of NISKA- YUNA BASEBALL, LTD. to other organizations maintaining an objective similar to that set forth herein this constitution, which are or may be entitled to exemption under Section 501 (c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of The United Sates of America or any future corresponding provision.
E. The fiscal year of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall begin on October 1 and end on September 30.
Articles IX- Rules
A. Charter: NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall annually apply for a charter from Babe Ruth League, Inc. and shall do all things necessary to obtain and maintain such charter. NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall devote its entire energies to the activities authorized by such a charter and shall neither be affiliated with no operate any other program or organization.
B. Rules and Regulations: The current copy of the Official Regulations and Playing Rules as published by Babe Ruth League Inc. shall be binding on NISKAYUNA BASEBALL LTD.
C. Local League Rules: The local rules of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. shall be adopted by the Board of Directors at a meeting to be held not less than one month previous to the first scheduled game of the season. These rules shall in no way conflict with the Official Regulations and Playing Rules of Babe Ruth League, Inc.
The President shall preside at all Board of Directors and General Membership Meetings of NISKA YUNA BASEBALL, L TD. and will at such meetings enforce order, the Constitution, By-laws, and Rules of this organization. The President shall have the right to cast a vote only in the event of a tie on a regular motion or in a secret ballot election. He shall appoint all committees and their chairmen which appointments must be approved by the Board of Directors. The President shall preside at all special meetings called under the auspices of this organization and shall have the right to cast a vote only in the event of a tie.
Article XI- Duties of the Vice President (Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth)
The Vice President shall assist the President in the discharge of the duties of the President. In the absence of the President the Vice President shall preside at meetings and perform the duties of the President, in which case a Vice President pro tempore may be chosen.
The Secretary shall keep a fair and impartial record of the proceedings of all meetings, regular or special, which shall be kept by him. The Secretary shall be furnished with all records by NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD. The Secretary shall notify all members of the Board of Directors of impending dismissal of a member for failure to attend three successive meetings without cause.
Article XIII -Duties of the Treasurer
The Treasurer signs checks, reports on the status of the common treasury at each Board of Directors meeting, keeps the financial records of this organization, prepares budgets, an assumes there responsibility for all finances of NISKAYUNA BASEBALL, LTD.
The Trustees shall be responsible for all property of the League. They shall audit the financial records prior to November 1 of each year.
Assists the President in checking birth records and eligibility of players, and generally supervises and coordinates the transfer of players to or from each level according to the provisions of the regulations of Babe Ruth League, Inc.
Article XVI- Duties of Player Representatives
A. Duties of the Players Representative
The Players Representative acts as a liaison between the Vice President and Managers of Cal Ripken and Babe Ruth teams. He also conveys local rules to Manages in writing prior to the first game of the season, after approval by the Board of Directors. He assists in recruiting coaches and managers giving recommendations to the General Manager for his approval, attends games, acts to resolve disputes arising during play.
The rules contained in the current edition of Roberts's Rules or Order Newly Revised shall govern the League in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the Constitution and any special rules or operating procedures the League may adopt.
A. This Constitution and By-laws or any section thereof may be amended or repealed by a majority plus one vote of the Board of Directors present at any stipulated meeting.